Lest We Forget
The Great Eastern Railway memorial to those who fell in World War 1 is to be found in Liverpool Street Railway Station, Liverpool Street, City of London. It was unveiled by Field Marshall Sir Henry Wilson, Bart., G.C.B., D.S.O. and dedicated by the Bishop of Norwich 22 June 1922, the sculptors were Farmer and Brindley. The memorial was moved from the booking hall circa 1990 when the station was renovated, and moved to a site above the main station concourse, near the entrance from Liverpool Street. It takes the form of a large, ornate, wall plaque and contains a roll of honour of 1,216 (stated as 1,220) names in black lettering on 11 panels surmounted by a segmental pediment with relief of laurel and the G.E.R. coat of arms in centre. The names have been transcribed as alphabetical section; these were taken from a photograph and may not be 100% accurate. The memorial cost £3,326, including £500 for the lettering, which was paid for by the railway company. A major resource in compiling these pages was the book ST. PAUL'S CATHEDRAL SERVICE IN MEMORY OF RAILWAYMEN published by the IWM. Useful for researchers are the National Arcvhives resources if you are searching for records of railway staff before the railways were nationalised in 1947.
Extract from Wikipedia - GREAT EASTERN RAILWAY:
The Great Eastern Railway (GER) was a pre-grouping British railway company, whose main line linked London Liverpool Street to Norwich and which had other lines through East Anglia. The company was grouped into the London and North Eastern Railway in 1923.
Formed in 1862 after the amalgamation of the Eastern Counties Railway and several other smaller railway companies the GER served Cambridge, Chelmsford, Colchester, Great Yarmouth, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Lowestoft, Norwich, Southend-on-Sea (opened by the GER in 1889), and East Anglian seaside resorts such as Hunstanton (whose prosperity was largely a result of the GER's line being built) and Cromer. It also served a suburban area, including Enfield, Chingford, Loughton and Ilford. This suburban network was, in the early 20th century, the busiest steam-hauled commuter system in the world.
The majority of the Great Eastern's locomotives and rolling stock were built at Stratford Works, part of which was on the site of today's Stratford International station and the rest was adjacent to Stratford Regional station. The GER owned 1,200 miles (1,931 km) of line and had a near-monopoly in East Anglia until the opening of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway in 1893 although there were a number of minor lines, such as the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway that stayed resolutely independent until after the grouping in 1923.
GREAT EASTERN RAILWAY
THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE
GREAT EASTERN RAILWAY STAFF WHO IN RESPONSE TO THE CALL OF THEIR
KING AND COUNTRY, SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES DURING THE GREAT WAR
Due to the large number of names they have been split into alphabetical section here. Click on a letter to see that section. Sources include Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Soldiers Died in the Great War, Railwaymen Died in the Great War, 1911 census, 1901 census, Trade Union Membership Registers, World War 1 Naval Casualties, British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920, and several more resources.
Last updated 9 March, 2018
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Copyright © Roll-of-Honour.com 2002- | GDPR Cookies